All surfaces insulated against water infiltrations have a warranty period, during which the manufacturer of the materials is willing to stand behind their work, knowing that the materials will fulfill the purpose for which they have been manufactured; a manufacturer has the best interest to offer quality materials that will last at least as long as their warranty. However, in order to prolong the lifespan of a roof and prevent potential premature degradation, you should consider making a roof maintenance contract with licensed Sarasota roofing contractors.
Specialists suggest that roof inspections should be performed at least once a year to ensure that neither the cover nor the structure is damaged or rotten. You could increase the frequency of inspections to one every four or five months if you live in an area that has heavy rain or snow falls, or is surrounded by tall vegetation.
Prevention is better than repairing or replacing a roof!
Lack of maintenance is one of the main causes of roof problems, just as the lack of maintenance of a vehicle leads to its faster failure. A defect that starts out being very small and easy to repair, if left unfixed can turn into a very serious problem. Periodic inspections of the roof, followed by timely repairs of the observed defects, bring you the following benefits:
- Increasing the life of the roof, resulting in substantial savings due to the reduction of the cost of the roof compared to its lifespan – a maintenance program of your office building, together with the correct design and execution of the roof, can double its lifespan.
- Reducing the costs of heating and cooling the building by detecting inefficient wet thermal insulation and taking the necessary measures – for example, in the cold winter months, depending on the heating mode and the thermal-waterproofing system, monthly savings can reach significant sums.
- Optimization of the costs of the works necessary for the roof repair – Roofers make offers, on the basis of a pre-established list of works, which makes it easy to separate offers, and to find out about all the works necessary for a quality roof.
- Avoiding potential problems caused by water infiltrations, which translates into reducing unpredictable costs with the repair of interior finishes, furniture and equipment, goods affected by moisture, etc.
- Increasing the quality of the indoor environment – water infiltrated into the structure can lead to the formation of mold and moisture, which are harmful to human health.
- Eliminating the risk of structural roof degradation, due to the thermal-waterproofing system.
The cost of a roof inspection (even with modern infrared technology!) is much lower than the cost of its total or partial replacement. To maximize the life of a roof system, Sarasota roofing contractors recommend a periodic maintenance program to all building owners, meaning briefly:
- periodic cleaning of the roof and drainage system (at least twice a year, one in the spring after the snow melts, and the other in the fall after the leaves fall)
- a thorough inspection performed at least once a year (ideally, twice a year!)
- remedying the deficiencies observed, with the help of a professional roofer